Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Disaster


ALERT: This post is about a sports related topic.

I realize that 99% of the few people that read this blog do not, and will not care about what I'm about to say. I just feel the need to talk about it because, as many of you know, the sports world consumes a great portion of my time and interest (be that good or bad).

As some may know, I have been a die hard fan of the Denver Broncos since I was a little boy. I watched John Elway and the Broncos get hammered by the 49ers in Super Bowl XXIV by a score of 55 to 10. From that moment on, I was a Broncos fan.


I guess I felt sorry for Johnny Elway and they became my team. Coincidentally, we moved to Denver a couple years later where I could see every game on television. I was so emotionally involved that I would often cry and lock myself in my room if the Broncos lost. I can remember skipping Sunday School and listening to the game in the car, or taking my portable television to church to secretly watch the game. Occasionally my dad would nudge me and ask me what the score was. Just before my mission, the Broncos won two Super Bowls in a row, and I honestly couldn't imagine how life could get any better.

After John Elway retired the team has never been the same, and they've not returned to their former glory. A few months ago, their hall of fame coach (who many people think looks like this guy) was fired, and the new young "stud" was brought in. Here's where I get mad. The new coach has alienated the franchise quarterback, Jay Cutler, the best player on the team and one of the best young quarterbacks in the league.


Now Cutler refuses to play for the new coach and is demanding a trade. Basically, this classy organization which was once the cream of the crop in the pro football world has absolutely gone down the crapper.

You don't care? Well, I do, and it frustrates the crap out of me. It looks as though my beloved Broncos are doomed to become the next team in perennial disarray, just like the Oakland Raiders (a joke of a team). It makes me want to cry...I'm headed to my room.

4 comments:

Paul said...

Keep on preaching. I hate the fact that the new owner even entertained the idea of switching quarterbacks. Stupid mistake with a young, top 5 QB on your squad.
But I also can't believe how big of a sissy Cutler has become. Move on and prove yourself. They all need to read the "Beware of Pride" talk.
I pray that the Broncos maintain their class through this trial and we get a solid QB and great 1st round picks and can move on. But I wish we still had Cutler.

Sarah Jayne said...

All I've been seeing on facebook status' for the last day is that people are happy to be rid of him...I had no idea about any of it. So it's interesting reading your perspective. You should have just done what I did and stop watching the Broncos all together when Elway was done. Now all I remember of them is the awesomeness of winning those 2 Super Bowls in a row.

Ryan said...

Amen brother. We just lost a franchise QB for Kyle freaking Orton! I work right by Dove Valley...let's make some signs and throw rocks at McDaniels' car!

You've stated my deep-rooted feelings for this beloved franchise almost to a T. I am still upset they got rid of Shanny, but I was coming around to McDaniels and the moves he was making on defense. And then the Cutler thing happened. All McD would have had to do was admit he made a mistake of trying to cover up the Cassel trade and give Jay a little love! For Pete's sake, grow up you two. It's over now, and I can't do anything about it!

My obsession started in 3rd grade when the Broncos lost to the Giants in the SB in '86. I remember before the game, our teacher gave us these home-made drawings to color of John Elway, holding a sword and stepping on the neck of Lawrence Taylor who had two "xs" for eyes.

SB XXXII was one of the greatest days of my life.

Laura Hall said...

Dear Brother-
I remember those days of crying. It makes me like you more. So sorry about all the bad broncos mumbo jumbo, I know how much you love them!On a happier note, arent you thrilled that you get to see me soon?